Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Schools and Education and Education and Schools

The stress these words bring.  I hear so much talk about schools and education and it's starting to wear on my nerves and cause me to fret.

I would like to enroll QT in school but my dilemma is 1) I don't want him in a school surrounded by caucasians and 2) if he goes to a school surrounded by kids of color the schools seem to have lots of struggling students.

It seems Mr. A and I will really have to start our own school, although I am mentally considering other options. Things like renting a building and having classes so QT can interact and be rough with other little boys.

I shall figure this out.  We could send him to a nearby school and deprogram him everyday and 'afterschool' him.  It's just frustrating that African American people with means, put their kids in mostly caucasian schools and the only kids left in schools that serve kids of color, are the ones with parents who don't have means.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Ooh, I have so much to say about this post! As a parent of a child who is ready to enter school I completely understand. The zoned school is not acceptable. We want to move and other than the cost of the house, the school zone is the next consideration. My son did not accepted into a pre-K class and I am grateful that he did not. Over 70% of the students in kindergarten at that school were below grade level. All of the kindergarten did not move up or attend the pre-K, so I won't blame the pre-K at all. But the teacher told me that at a different school 75% of that class came in ready to learn to read. My son is 4 going on 5 and can read.

As a teacher it is completely unfair. Teachers get blamed for "not teaching" but if kindergarten is not mandatory and 75% or more of kindergarten comes in below grade level, whose fault is that? Yes, the school I'm talking about is my own school and it's super frustrating. Right now my son is at a Montessori and will likely stay there. We want to send him to public school- it's free and many are stellar. However if we live around other African-Americans chances are the zoned school is not good.