Monday, August 15, 2016

Many moons ago...........

I realized when my kids were babies that I wanted my kids to have a certain type of summer experience.   Mr. A's L.A. West Point Alum were members of country clubs and had cabanas at beach clubs.  We would go to the Beach clubs and I could look across and see the crowded public beach littered with people.  People were free to walk on the beach in front of the beach club but most wouldn't because it was a long walk.

It was nice to go to the beach and relax and have a nice posh bathroom nearby if a bathroom was needed. It was nice to have comfy chairs available and ready for use and the quiet, restful beach area.  It's been hard for me to go back to a public beach since that time. 

Anty_way, this summer has been busy but it has also been what my summer dreams for my kids were made of.

QT was still in track season when the school year ended.  His season was very successful. He dominated every meet among his age group. 

He did a one week sports camp and did different sports like, basketball, soccer, rugby, swimming lessons,and dance. The day after QT finished up his last meet of the season, my mom, QT and myself hopped on a train to New Orleans.  We got a sleeper car which QT loved! I enjoyed it too!  All dining car meals were included so the sleeper car is a money saver.  Train meals are pricey.  We spent the night with my L.A. cousin who moved to New Orleans and bought a cute home.




The next morning we took a greyhound bus to Atlanta. The greyhound bus wasn't part of my dreams, but the train to Atlanta was 5 days vs. a 2 day train to New Orleans and 8 hour bus ride from there to Atlanta.

We had great fun in Georgia spending time with family.  My cousins in Georgia have all boys so QT thoroughly enjoyed 5 days of playing rough and talking about boy stuff.



 A few days after our return the A family headed to Temecula for TR's gymnastics camp. 



We rented a house in Temecula Valley Wine Country.  TR had a great time and on our last night Mr. A invited her teammates and their moms over for pizza and a pool party.


Renting a house in Temecula made life a lot easier.  Last year we spent the entire camp in a hotel and hotel life is hard with 2 kids.  After Temecula we went to Legoland in Carlsbad for more fun.  I love Legoland, and the kids are the perfect age to fully enjoy it.  We stayed at the Legoland Resort which made things even easier.  I was also able to wash clothes at the Temecula house, so we didn't have to overpack and it was nice arriving at Legoland with a suitcase full of freshly laundered clothes.

When we returned from Legoland, QT started football.  Mr. A is the president of his football league so he is there and QT loves knowing and saying "my father is president".

After that first week of football, my father paid for QT to attend tennis camp at the fancy smancy Claremont Club. The coaches and my father say that QT is a natural at tennis. QT has amazing hand-eye coordination. When he was a few months old,  and I put him at the dinner table he began throwing spoons at TR. The spoons kept hitting her in the head. After the third time it happened I realized his throwing was not a coincidence. He was aiming and hitting his target.  I went to IKEA and got plastic kid utensils so he wouldn't put her eyes out.




QT also has a natural left backhand.  So far my little guy has been great at every sport.  He took a gymnastics class at the gym TR did camp at and the coaches said it's a waste that he isn't taking gymnastics.  He dominates in his age  group in track.  TR is also good at the sports she attempts but she focuses on gymnastics so she doesn't get to do as much as QT.

TR took tennis lessons on her days off from gymnastics.  I think she enjoyed the swimming more than the tennis, but she did enjoy the tennis.

Our homeschool year resumed this past Wednesday.  The kids excel academically as well as athletically, so they love school as much as they love sports. They are also looking forward to going back to art.  I had to stop art for the summer.  I needed a break from so much driving. 

No comments: